If It Happened Once...

When the grief subsides, the fear that if it happens once it may happen again can grip a couple and keep them from pursuing another pregnancy. An extensive examination of the placenta may help determine if it could happen again. The numbers show that there is a 3% chance of a recurrent stillbirth in the next pregnancy, which means that it is 97% positive for a healthy, live birth. If a specific cause can be found, then the risks can be addressed better.

Feeling the pain

The last one ever expected to die is a baby. Everyone - parents, doctors, family and friends can be shocked and overwhelmed by the loss. Dreams and hopes that were established long before the birth of the baby are now crushed and empty. Sadness, anger, bitterness at the injustice and myriad other emotions will flood the world of the bereaved parents.

Don't take the blame

Usually there was nothing either of the parents did to cause the stillbirth yet the parents may blame themselves. Loneliness, longing, helplessness and despair can make their lives difficult.

Emotions felt at the time of loss are normal and to be expected. They are all part of the grieving process - trying to make sense of what happened and how to go on in life without the baby. Grieving is not easy. It is hard work and it can take a long time to complete - but it must be completed.

There are many organizations and materials available to help grieving parents through this most difficult time. Check out our article on Dealing with Miscarriage: How to Cope for some helpful information on loss.


Table of Contents
1. Emotional Impact of Stillbirth
2. WIll it happen again?
Login to comment

Post a comment